(BLOOMBERG)—Tesla Motors Inc., best known for making the all-electric Model S sedan, is using its lithium-ion battery technology to position itself as a frontrunner in the emerging energy-storage market that supplements and may ultimately threaten the traditional electric grid.
"We are going to unveil the Tesla home battery, the consumer battery that would be for use in people's houses or businesses fairly soon," Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk said during an earnings conference call with analysts Wednesday.
Combining solar panels with large, efficient batteries could allow some homeowners to avoid buying electricity from utilities. Morgan Stanley said last year that Tesla's energy-storage product could be "disruptive" in the U.S. and in Europe as customers seek to avoid utility fees by going "off-grid." Musk said the product unveiling would occur within the next month or two....
- Tesla Battery Looks To Disrupt Home, Office Power Consumption • InformationWeek
- Why Tesla's battery for your home should terrify utilities • The Verge
- Tesla developing battery system for houses to store solar power • Global Construction Review
- Elon Musk's Plan to Build a Space Internet • BPB
- Gigafactory Could Open Ahead Of Schedule In 2016 • Hybrid Cars News