(BLOOMBERG)—Because he doesn't have enough going on, Elon Musk—he of Tesla Motors, SpaceX, SolarCity, and the Hyperloop—is launching another project. Musk wants to build a second Internet in space and one day use it to connect people on Mars to the Web.
Musk is tonight hosting a SpaceX event in Seattle, where the company is opening a new office. The talk will mostly be about SpaceX’s plans for hiring aerospace and software engineers in the Pacific Northwest to boost the company’s rocket-building efforts. But he'll also use the talk to announce his newest idea, which would launch a vast network of communication satellites to orbit earth. The network would do two things: speed up the general flow of data on the Internet and deliver high-speed, low-cost Internet services to the three billion-plus people who still have poor access to the Web. “Our focus is on creating a global communications system that would be larger than anything that has been talked about to date,” Musk told Bloomberg Businessweek ahead of the announcement.
The Space Internet venture, to which Musk hasn't yet given a name, would be hugely ambitious. Hundreds of satellites would orbit about 750 miles above earth, much closer than traditional communications satellites in geosynchronous orbit at altitudes of up to 22,000 miles. The lower satellites would make for a speedier Internet service, with less distance for electromagnetic signals to travel. The lag in current satellite systems makes applications such as Skype, online gaming, and other cloud-based services tough to use. Musk's service would, in theory, rival fiber optic cables on land while also making the Internet available to remote and poor regions that don't have access....
- Elon Musk wants to spend $10 billion building the internet in space • The Verge
- Elon Musk Wants to Build High-Speed Satellite Internet Service • PC Magazine
- Video: World Government on the Horizon • BPB (Andy Woods)
- Virgin Galactic Partners with Qualcomm to Deploy Network of Satellites for High-Speed Internet • Tech Times
- Elon Musk's Latest Idea: An Internet For the Universe • Design & Trend
- SpaceX Founder Elon Musk Looking to Create Satellite-Based Worldwide Internet • HNGN
- Virgin Group, Qualcomm, back 600-satellite space internet plan • The Register
- Revelation 13:17 ...no one may buy or sell • SpiritAndTruth.org (Tony Garland)