(BAPTIST STANDARD)—The Supreme Court ruling that prompted the White House to light up like a giant rainbow made the top slot in the Religion Newswriters Association's annual ranking of the 10 most important religion news stories of the year.
Same-sex marriage legalized
In late June, the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 in the case of Obergefell v. Hodges to make same-sex marriage the law of the land. Members of the Religion Newswriters Association, an organization of professional journalists who cover religion, named it the most important religion news story of the year....
"The U.S. Supreme Court's landmark decision will have repercussions in the religious world for years to come, so it's fitting that journalists ranked it the No. 1 story," said Debra L. Mason, executive director of Religion Newswriters Foundation and director of the Center on Religion & the Professions at the University of Missouri School of Journalism....
The Religion Newswriters Association conducted its survey among its 480 members, mostly journalists working in the United States.
- Bruce 'Caitlyn' Jenner's Prayer with Texas Megachurch Minister Stirs Controversy • Christian News Network
- NYC Businesses Face $250K Fine If They Use Wrong Pronoun to Name Transgenders • Christian Post
- How This Governor Upheld Religious Freedom in Issuing Marriage Licenses • Daily Signal
- Oregon bakery owners pay more than $135G in damages over refusal to make cake for gay wedding • FOX News
- The Bible and Homosexuality • Sugar Land Bible Church (Andy Woods)