By Denny Burk
The news just came out today that the Supreme Court has decided to hear Hobby Lobby's case against Obamacare's contraceptive mandate. I have written extensively on this site about the battle that Hobby Lobby has been engaged in for over a year now. In short, Hobby Lobby has been asking for relief from Obamacare's requirement that they violate their religious beliefs.
Supreme Court to review contraceptive coverage mandate
Obamacare's mandate is one of the most egregious violation of religious liberty that I have ever seen. As a result of this law, the United States Government forces Christian business owners to pay for abortion inducing drugs in their employees' insurance plans. It doesn't matter that the law violates their religious liberty to conduct business in a way that is consistent with their conscience. Obamacare mandates that these Christians comply or face fines that will put them out of business.
The owners of Hobby Lobby are Christians, and they have said that they cannot in good conscience participate in ending innocent human life. Nor do they believe that the federal government has a right to force them to do so—which is precisely what Obamacare forces them to do. So they have taken their case to the courts, and that effort has made its way all the way to the top—the Supreme Court.
Hobby Lobby and others in their class will now press their case before the highest court in the land. What's at stake? Whether or not the federal government will be allowed to force Christians to violate their consciences. In other words, there is much on the line in this case, and you can be sure that we will be watching very closely.
Oral arguments will likely be heard in March with a decision following in June. Stay tuned.
- Supreme Court Will Take on Obama Admin's Birth Control Mandate • Christian Post
- Supreme Court to hear challenge over ObamaCare contraception mandate • FOX News
- Supreme Court Accepts Hobby Lobby's Challenge to Obama's HHS Mandate • LifeNews.com
- God's Word on Abortion • BPB (Tony Garland)
- U.S. Supreme Court to hear Obamacare contraception cases • Reuters
- CNN Blames Christians for Obamacare Problems • Breitbart
- Halperin tells conservative host that death panels are 'built in' to Obamacare • Raw Story