There has been a great deal of concern over the possibility of Barack Obama winning the White House in the November 4th election. In the past few weeks, I’ve received dozens of emails from people frustrated over how one of the most liberal senators is getting a free ride to the White House.
There has been very little media coverage of what could prove to be a far more dangerous political development. Polls indicate that the Democrats have a good chance of expanding their congressional majorities past the point of having a filibuster-proof Senate.
“This would be one of the most profound political and ideological shifts in U.S. history. Liberals would dominate the entire government in a way they haven't since 1965, or 1933. In other words, the election would mark the restoration of the activist government that fell out of public favor in the 1970s. If the U.S. really is entering a period of unchecked left-wing ascendancy, Americans at least ought to understand what they will be getting, especially with the media cheering it all on” (Wall Street Journal, 17 Oct. 2008).
The founding fathers created a system of checks and balances to block an aspiring dictator from seizing total control of the government. No U.S. president has the power to reshape the laws of our nation. If someone like Adolf Hitler were elected to office, he couldn’t implement a fourth Reich alone. The president can propose a budget and legislation, but he cannot force Congress to accept them.
During both previous times when there was a super-majority, it was possible to rewrite the rules at will. Franklin Delano Roosevelt gave us the New Deal and Lyndon Johnson created the Great Society--just fancy words for socialism.
The Democratic party of today is far more liberal than it was during any previous super-majority. I can’t imagine FDR addressing the virtues of gay marriage in one of his radio chats. Mr. Obama has long supported gay unions. Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi is the representative of America ’s Sodom and Gomorrah: San Francisco. I doubt the gay lobby will have any trouble getting her support.
You can be certain that the Democrats have a very long list of liberal proposals that they would love to see become part of the law of the land. Here are just five of them:
- The fairness doctrine – Backers of the fairness doctrine argue that because the airwaves are a scarce resource, they should be policed by federal bureaucrats to ensure that all viewpoints are heard. Liberals point to conservatives' dominance of talk radio as the reason radio stations should be forced to give time to left-wing commentators. Liberals have already monopolized TV, newspapers, and Hollywood. A domination of media is a hallmark of any despot seeking dictatorial rule.
- Union supremacy – Unions have been in decline for several decades. One of the key reasons is that they have a negative impact on business productivity. In a highly competitive world, unionized firms tend to fall behind. Democrats love unions because they are a good way to control large blocks of people with promises of government incentives.
- Medicare for all – The U.S. is already facing a calamity from the future entitlements promised to the baby boom generation. That bill will amount to $44 trillion. The idea of expanding the scope of Medicare makes me wonder if the Democrats are part of a secret plan to bankrupt this nation.
- Homosexual rights – Gays already have equal rights. The next step in this moral slide would be to make this sin protected from rebuke. In many European nations, it is a hate crime to quote the Bible’s view of homosexuality.
- The green agenda – Any plan to protect the earth seems like a noble cause, but “you don’t have to dig very deep to discover the true beliefs of the influential leaders who are using genuine concerns about the environment to promote an agenda of fear and control” (http://green-agenda.com). A few years back, Al Gore narrowly missed getting a BTU tax on everything that used energy. If his democratic buddies gain control of the government, you can bet the Environmental Pope is going to be back.
One of the disadvantages of being close to the time of the rapture is that we may witness some rather shocking changes in our form of government. If liberals are swept into super-majority power, there will be nothing to bar them from enacting these proposals. We can take comfort in knowing we will soon be rescued by a special Someone who will stand solidly for liberty and righteousness.