By Denny Burk
In the video below, Laura Ingraham explains why she thinks “Duck Dynasty” is such a hit. I think she may not be too far off. My family enjoys the program for all the reasons she cites. We also love it because Louisiana is our home state, and the show is set in my wife's hometown. Where else on television can you tune in and see live shots of the town you grew up in? (My wife spotted her high school in the season premier.) Also, there’s nothing like hearing some “y’alls” and “fixin’s” to make some expat Louisianans feel a little closer to home. So there’s a lot of nostalgia in this one for us.
Kelly Boggs has as similar take in the Baptist Press. He writes:
I believe the elements that keep viewers tuning in for the Robertson clan are wholesomeness, authenticity and values.
Duck Dynasty is good clean fun. The Robertsons pursuit of life is wholesome. The show is free of sexual innuendo, coarse humor and perverted dysfunction. People who are looking for entertainment to enjoy with their families have found it with Duck Dynasty.
Regarding the Robertsons’ authenticity, what you see is what you get…
Additionally, the Robertsons’ faith and values are real. They are unapologetic about the fact they are Christians. They also defy the typical stereotype many people have of what a Christian should be. The Robertsons live their faith; they don’t feel the need to portray it via perma-press clothes and coiffed hair.
Each episode is peppered with staunchly conservative values. At the close of each program, a moral is drawn from the program, always emphasizing something of virtue.
Read the rest of Boggs’ article here.
- Duck Dynasty: The Pro-God, Guns, Family and Capitalism Reality Show Rules the Ratings Roost • Town Hall
- 'Duck Dynasty' Star Jase Robertson Mistaken as Homeless, Kicked Out of New York Hotel • Gospel Herald
- ‘Duck Dynasty’ star Willie Robertson is not running for Congress • Washington Post
- What's with 'Duck Dynasty'? • Baptist Press
- Staggering 11.8 Million Viewers Make 'Duck Dynasty' the Most Watched Reality Show Ever • Christian Post