By Joel C. Rosenberg
Mosab Hassan Yousef, author of the New York Times best-selling non-fiction book, Son of Hamas, will be speaking by videotape at the 2010 Epicenter Conference next week. But I can’t wait until then to tell you the latest that is happening with him. He needs our prayers.
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security may soon deport Mosab back to the West Bank where he very well could be assassinated. He is scheduled for a DHS hearing on June 30th that could decide his fate. U.S. officials believe his previous leadership role in Hamas is too great a risk to give him political asylum here in the States. But they are not properly assessing the totality of his story and the situation.
Here are the facts:
- Yes, Mosab is the son of one of the founders of Hamas and was a rising leader in the terrorist organization — he described his role in detail in his book.
- That said, Mosab renounced Hamas and risked his life to become a double agent working for the Israeli secret service (Shin Bet) against Hamas.
- In so doing, Mosab helped to stop scores of terrorist attacks and helped Israel arrest scores of jihadists.
- Then, Mosab renounced Islam and became a follower of Jesus Christ.
- His story was first revealed through the Haaretz, one of Israel’s leading and most credible newspapers. The Haaretz team carefully vetted his story and have done numerous follow up stories.
- The Israeli government has not denounced him as a liar — to the contrary, Mosab’s Shin Bet handlers affirm his story and say that he is telling the truth.
- Mosab has lived in the U.S. for the last two years and is actively speaking out here and around the world through the media and in speeches against Hamas, against Radical Islam, and in favor of the U.S., Israel and most importantly his Savior and Lord Jesus Christ.
- The U.S. has given political asylum to people who have done far less for the U.S. and the cause of freedom than Mosab — he deserves and should receive the right to stay in this country and become an American citizen.
I have gotten to know Mosab over the last 18 months and am convinced he is the real deal. I am, therefore, asking you to pray faithfully and consistently in the following ways:
- Pray for Mosab to have Christ’s peace and joy during such turmoil and stress.
- Pray for Judge Rico J. Bartolomei on June 30th to truly hear and understand all the facts and come to the proper conclusion that Mosab has truly renounced Islam and Hamas, that he is not a threat to U.S. national security in any way, shape, or form, that he should stay in the U.S., and that he would be in grave danger if he were sent back to the West Bank.
- Pray for Members of Congress to take up Mosab’s case and intervene on his behalf with the Department of Homeland Security (my colleagues and I are currently working on this, as are other friends and allies of Mosab).
- Pray that the Epicenter Conference will give his case more exposure so more people can pray — we will be showing video excerpts of my recent interview with him and this will be broadcast on many Christian radio and TV stations in more than 200 countries around the world.
- Pray, too, that the media will raise the profile of Mosab’s case so still more people can learn about it and begin to pray.
‘Son of Hamas’ facing deportation - JTA
United States looking to deport 'Son of Hamas' spy - Ha'aretz
Deporting 'Son of Hamas' - Wall Street Journal
Obama Administration Aiding Hamas - Fort Liberty (Blog)
Son of Hamas: A Gripping Account of Terror, Betrayal, Political Intrigue, and Unthinkable Choices - Mosab Hassan Yousef (Book)